That, in a nutshell, is the sad culmination of the problems we have experienced over the last two decades.
For the past 24 years, we have been seeking truth and justice from Subud, a Spiritual organisation and registered charity, concerning their actions over a failed enterprise. However, when it comes down to the reality of everyday living, our main problems are that we now face a long, cold winter and the prospect of being evicted from our own home in our old age.
We are Andreas and Susannah Zys – if you are a member of Subud you may have heard about us before. The whole story is told on our website subudconscience.com but here is a quick timeline of what happened:
A brief history of how we came to be on the verge of losing everything
- 1979 – Subud proposes an ambitious venture: to provide an International Centre for its members, but also to be a state-of-the-art hotel and conference centre in its own right. Andreas, a self-made successful businessman and member of Subud, along with many others, invests in the enterprise, in good faith that it will be a successful business and a worthy cause. The Centre was named “Anugraha”.
- 1984 – Anugraha opens for business but the first Subud Board loses all sense of reality and incredibly overspends funds by several million pounds (£several million!) Anugraha becomes the venue of choice by prestigious companies in preference to Olympia and Earl’s Court, neither of which have bedrooms to offer for overnight stays. A car launch by Volvo is made spectacular thanks to Anugraha’s central rising floor. Andreas, as Subud Co-ordinator, is frequently asked by these clients to explain Subud to them. Subud becomes a regular topic on radio and TV.
- 1988 – Behind the scenes there is in-fighting and dubious behaviour amongst the Board members, resulting in a crisis that leads to Anugraha’s downfall. The final Board astonishingly reject all opportunities to save the investments of Subud members, and choose not to accept any of the bids received which would have saved those investments.
- 1990 – Anugraha is sold off at a fraction of its value. The reasons for the failure of the business have never been properly investigated. Malicious intent, fraud and theft are all suspected, but as there has been no investigation, only fraud has been proved.
- 1990s – ‘Hardship Cases’ are identified by Subud, and money set aside to help those who suffered financially by the loss of Anugraha. The designated fund of £2Million disappears and remains unaccounted for. Andreas uses his own money and pension funds and succeeds in saving four houses from being lost. The endeavour costs considerably more than expected leaving Andreas with insufficient funds to save his own home. Subud then turns its back on the Zyses and offers them no assistance. The Zys home is lost to the bank.
- 2014 – Subud still does not take responsibility and ignores communications. The real reasons for the loss of Anugraha and the whereabouts of the lost hardship £millions remain a closely guarded secret. The Zyses are rapidly running out of money and risk being evicted and their home being completely repossessed.
- The 20+ years of no response was recently broken by three lady Helpers. They wrote to say that Testing is only available for Subud members and as they have never heard of Andreas Zys, they cannot not look into what has been asked until they receive proof that he is a Subud member.
Nowadays the news on TV and radio day after day relays stories of human distress. Against that backdrop you may well say “Oh, that story of the Zyses is really sad. What bad luck, but what I can I do about it?”.
You CAN help if you really want to…
Members of Subud
Get together with your group and talk about the disgrace of the Anugraha aftermath, and the fact that Subud is not helping a member who contributed so much and who did so much to help others. We need your collective voice to be heard by those who matter. We have tried, time and again, to talk to various high-ranking persons in Subud, to tell them of our plight, but it has always resulted in the rudeness of no reply. However, we hope that the more public voices there are, the more likely we are to have a response.
During the short time that Anugraha flourished, Subud became known and respected. Since then, it has become unknown and its achievements are not making news. For the first time in its history, the membership of Subud does not appear to be increasing noticeably. All this can be reversed by your collective actions.
Journalists, Writers, Bloggers, Everyone Else…
Please let our story be heard and spread online. Write on our ‘Comments’ page on subudconscience.com, share our articles on your social networks, re-tweet our story on Twitter, link to our website and our Facebook page, reveal our story publicly to shame Subud into action. Use the hashtag #Subud.
We are now in our twilight years and tired of fighting – all we want is for truth and justice for those who have been wronged and for Andreas and his reputation to be restored.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
We would stress that we are NOT asking you for financial help. We ask for your help in convincing those in positions of authority in Subud to stop protecting those who did wrong and to act with decency, morality and humanity by admitting that mistakes have been made and taking steps to rectify them, even at this late hour.
Some people in the Subud hierarchy know what happened to the £2million earmarked for cases of hardship and to save the 5 homes, including ours. The Zyses need and deserve help, but it is also Subud that needs help, it needs help to restore its once high standing. Knowing of the immorality and criminality that took place, several hundred people left Subud in disgust. Present members are tarred with that taint which can be removed only by the present members insisting on right action by their leaders.
Thank you one and all.
Some of you are sending emails expressing support with very kind words. There seems, though, to be a reluctance to say those kind things out loud. The emails are seen by no-one but us. It is important for people to be aware that they are not alone in their support. PLEASE break the ice, please break the silence – please copy your kind words to ‘Comments’ on our site.
Sadly one thing I have learned in life is protect everything you own with your own life and give just the top 5 ot 10% to whatever you please. Business investments should only be done by million and billionaires who can afford to lose large sums of money with the statisically prevalent fraud, corruption and deception (both intentional and innocent) inherently possible in all capital ventures. A member of this Subud organization should have taken you both in when all this happened permanently if you lost everything so as to be displaced. Did hte government find housing for you? Being open to God’s grace does not guarantee human compassion! the sun shines on both the evil and the good people. Btw I came across this when looking up Subud, after reading about a famous actress who practiced it (Bartok).
It would take too long for me to give a complete reply…I have no luck in addressing Subud people who have positions in the org, and have ceased to try to do that, having wasted months of my life, off and on, in attempts. You may get redress from God by asking God to answer your question, “What should I do?” Then God will guide you as to what to do. Not much chance of help from “Subud” a waste of your emotions and feelings. God on the other hand will help you in a way that will be gentle and kind. Love (I’m 72, in [was] Subud 49 years – have experience in that field, and no, I’m not a ‘helper.’ I can send you twenty bucks – would that help? Ask the community online for donations [?]. Love, I’m available for any counseling assistance you may wish for, will answer any question – am in pretty much the same boat, scrambling to keep shelter, over here in the good ol US of A. Luqman (Lambert) Lorette